Author: Elton Streyle, Contributor: Noah, Photography and Editing: Ali
This is a morning prayer exercise designed to help you put to rest any anxiety or concerns for the day ahead. It will help you to get your mind off of your problems and onto God. The first few minutes of the day are very important, and there is no better way to start the day than in praise to the Lord. We pray that this method will help you set the foundation of drawing close to God at the beginning of each day and throughout the day as well. You can print this page for easy reference.
All you have to do is set your alarm 15 minutes earlier and use the extra time to meditate on Scripture verses and songs before you even get out of bed. You could also do this prayer exercise at night before you go to sleep, or if you wake up during the night.
Psalm 5:3 “My voice You shall hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up.”
Here are some examples of how you could use this method in your daily life:
The songs printed below are all public domain.
Time of Thankfulness
Verse: 1 Thessalonians 5:16 “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
- Count Your Blessings- “When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed, when you are discouraged, thinking all is lost, count your many blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord hath done. Count your blessings, name them one by one; count your blessings, see what God hath done. Count your blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.”
- You could also reference the song Thank You Lord
- Thank the Lord for the things you are thankful for, such as eternal life, peace, joy health, food, loved ones, your job, etc.
Time of Praise
Verse: Psalm 145:3 “Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and His greatness is unsearchable.”
- Doxology- “Praise God from whom all blessings flow praise Him above all creatures here below, praise Him above all heavenly hosts, Praise Father Son and Holy Ghost. Amen.”
- You could also reference the song Father I Adore You
- Take time to praise the Lord for His goodness, patience, love, power, wisdom, mercy, and grace.
Time of Submission to God
Verse: Galatians 5:25 “If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”
- I Surrender All– “All to Jesus I surrender, all to Him I freely give. I will ever love and trust Him, in His presence daily live. I surrender all, I surrender all; all to Thee, my blessed Savior, I surrender all.”
- You could also reference the song Spirit of the Living God
- “Lord, I give myself to You and ask You to fill and control me with your Holy Spirit.” Ephesians 5:18b “Be filled with the Spirit.“
Time of Petition
Verse: Thank you for telling me in 2 Corinthians 12:9 that “My grace is sufficient for you…“‘
- Grace Greater Than Our Sin “Marvelous grace of our loving Lord, grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt! Yonder on Calvary’s mount outpoured, there where the blood of the Lamb was spilt. Grace, grace, God’s Grace, grace that will pardon and cleanse within. Grace, grace, God’s grace, grace that is greater than all our sins.”
- You could also reference the song A Shield About Me
- “Father, through Jesus, I “come boldly to the throne of grace, that [I] may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.“‘ Hebrews 4:16.
Time of Intercession
Verse: Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-30,”Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
- What a Friend We Have in Jesus- “What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear. What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer. Oh, what peace we often forfeit. Oh, what needless pain we bear. All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.”
- You could also reference the song Thy Word is a Lamp Unto My Feet
- “Lord, I am going to do what you tell me to do in 1 Peter 5:7. “[Cast] all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” These are my burdens and concerns about myself and others today that I am giving You: _________.”
We encourage you to use some of your own favorite verses and songs as a way to connect with God through prayer. If you aren’t sure about what verses to use next, check our tab labeled “Memorizing Scripture” for a list of great verses.